It’s easy to see how much this family loves canoeing! Commissioned artwork is all about capturing your favourite memories, and this was one of theirs.
I wanted you to have an example of commissioned artwork with several elements, including multiple people, as well as detailed background elements such as trees and water. It is time-intensive to render each element in the image, and this does add to the cost of commissioned work, but sometimes it is simply the best way to capture your favourite memory.
Pensive Leonard Cohen
The person who commissioned this image was, like so many of us, a Leonard Cohen fan. His own memories of Cohen’s music took him back to the 1970s, when Cohen was often photographed wearing a wool-lined leather jacket and smoking cigarettes. He wanted to remember Cohen just that way. This image incorporates a range of elements from popular photos of Leonard Cohen during the 1970s. And there’s one more thing. The person who commissioned the image remarked that women were never far from Cohen's thoughts. As you look into the smoke, do you see a woman’s silhouette?
Khelton Hedley-Wolf, the man featured in this portrait, is a talented self-taught violinist, and a luthier. Khelton wanted a portrait in which the very unique carved head of his violin projected into the foreground of the image.
I combined two non-professional, but high-resolution, colour photographs to produce this work. I have uploaded these two images below so that you can see the creative process at work.
The last image in the violin series featured here is a sample of Khelton’s work: I am very proud to own the first violin that Khelton made!
Commissioned art is art made specially made for a client. For example, this might include a portrait of you, you and your partner, one or more family members, or your pets.
ORDERING YOUR PORTRAIT
A good product begins with a good conversation. My work begins with a meeting or telephone conversation to review your goals. To do my best work, and provide you a maximally detailed and accurate rendering, it helps to have high-resolution digital photographs from which to work. I am easily able to combine elements from multiple images, provided the images are compatible. I can also include additional elements, such as background features, automobiles, instruments, and so on, as you can see in the images above. These additional elements do add to the cost of a portrait, but sometimes they also add greatly to its meaning.
To order a commission:
1. Plan to call or text message me at306-242-3304or email me at email@example.com. In your e-mail, please provide a description of the work you would like to order. Ideally, include one or more high-resolution photo(s) as attachments. We will be able to accomplish more in our initial conversation if you email images before our first telephone discussion of your request.
2. During our initial conversation, we will discuss the size of your portrait, the particular of elements to include, and the estimated cost.
The following base price are for portrait art in black and white. The medium is graphite, on a watercolour paper surface. The effect of this combination of materials can be most easily seen by clicking on the centre portrait above to see it in closer detail.
9" x 12" $300 24"x 36" $500
I am most commonly asked to work at the 24" x 36" size because more detailed work is only possible on a larger scale. For instance, in a 9” x 12” commission, it is only realistic to include one element; that is, a portrait of a single person or a pet. As the size increases, I am able to add more elements, such as an additional people or animals, automobiles, or musical instruments.
In addition to the base price, for each additional person, pet, or element you request to add to the portrait, there is a charge of $50-$100. The charge depends on the size and detail required for these additional elements. Requests for background details might be treated as additional elements, depending on the nature of your request and the amount of time and detail involved. We will make these decisions together. Regardless of the number of elements you choose, producing a quality image is my priority.
3. Once we finalize the details of your request, I will send you an invoice. I require a 30% deposit to begin the commission.
4. As the work progresses, I will send images of the commission. The remaining 70% of the commission fee will be due once the image is complete. Once payment is received, I will ship the artwork to you.
· You are responsible for the cost of shipping.
· Pricing is in Canadian funds. Taxes are included.